Like other smart TV brands on the market, VIZIO is not completely perfect.
According to some, their VIZIO TV won’t turn off due to some reasons they have no idea, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be solved. In today’s article, I come up with several suggestions to help you fix this problem.
Having a smart TV that won’t turn off is annoying. Of course you can bring it to the service center for check, but it can cost quite a lot and you don’t want that.
No need to worry!
All the tips below are things you can try out yourself.
Table of Contents
2 Simple Ways to Fix VIZIO Won’t Turn off
You just bought a new VIZIO TV and everything seems to work fine. However, the screen has an issue; that’s the screen only goes black for a few seconds. After that, it displays a dark blue screen and stays on perpetually.
See also: Best picture settings for Samsung 4K TV
Have you ever encountered this circumstance? Is it normal?
Firstly, if your VIZIO TV doesn’t turn off, the first thing you can do is power-cycling. Put it simply, all you need is to unplug it from the power source. Then wait for a moment (approx. 30 seconds) and plug it back again. The last step is to turn on the television and test if it works normally.
This is what we call ‘resetting’ your TV.
In some cases, you’re advised to put it sit overnight after pulling out the AC plug. Sometimes 30 seconds are not enough for it to work again. The settings of most VIZIO TVs these days have micro-processors that may cause ‘lockup’ problems.
Once you connect the plug again and the power button lights up, you must check the input button. Your television needs to connect to the correct input to work normally again.
Secondly, you can try turn off CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) and turn it back on immediately. In my case, I also need to turn it to another input apart from the SmartCast home screen when shutting it off.
If you’ve tried both ways and VIZIO TV still gives no response to remote controls, then perhaps you’ve had a power supply failure.
Other Common VIZIO TV Problems
1. VIZIO TV won’t turn on
There are some potential reasons explaining why your VIZIO TV doesn’t turn on:
- The issue might lie in the remote. Check and see if the batteries are dead; if it’s the case, then replace them with new ones and turn on your TV again.
- In case nothing happens after the battery replacement, then the problem this time may be from somewhere else. Press the Menu button first to see if it shows anything. Try to press both buttons on the remote and TV itself (not at the same time). If nothing displays, then power source is the fault. Make sure to plug it into a power outlet before turning it on again.
- Another reason causing your TV to not turn on is the damage or loose with the power cord. Let’s unplug it from the television and plug it back to ensure that it’s connected fully and secure.
- Like what we do with VIZIO TV won’t turn off, you can try power-cycling.
If none of these tips works for you, then you should contact the customer support of VIZIO for assistance. They can guide you step by step or send someone to fix the problem for a particular model of your VIZIO TV.
2. VIZIO TV won’t show any picture
The power is on but you see no picture displayed on the screen.
If this issue occurs, follow these quick steps to solve it instantly:
- Check to see if all cables are attached to the television safely
- Make sure that all devices are connected correctly
- Click the Menu button and start adjusting the contrast, brightness, and backlight
- Press the Input button on the remote to connect to another input source in case the issue still repeats
3. VIZIO TV menu won’t work
What to do if your VIZIO TV isn’t working?
The potential reason may be from the remote control. I encountered this problem once when I bought my first VIZIO, and back then I tried resetting the connection of the remote by doing the power cycling or resetting the memory.
You can follow my steps to power cycle the remote:
- Remove the batteries out of the remote
- Press and hold the Menu button for 5s to drain residual power left in the remote
- Press every button on the remote to make sure none is stuck as well as to loosen them
- Insert back the batteries (change to the new ones if they are old)
- Use the remote to turn on your TV to see if it works
If the first way doesn’t work, then it’s time to power cycle your TV:
- Unplug the electric outlet or the power cord at the back of the TV
- Hold down the power button on the TV side for 5 seconds
- Reconnect the power cord and turn it on
4. VIZIO TV image quality is not good
You find that the picture quality of your VIZIO TV is not good?
If so, the following instructions can help you resolve:
For the best image quality, you need to watch HD programs using digital sources. Connect your television with HDMI cables first. In case you’re using the antenna, it’s understandable why the image quality is bad due to low signal strength. Make sure to connect your antenna to the TV certainly. Adjust it around the room or move close to the window can improve the signal.
The Bottom Line
That’s all for tips to fix VIZIO TV won’t turn off as well as other common problems that you can encounter with the VIZIO smart TV. If nothing above works, then contact their customer service.
Hope that my suggestions will be effective and your television can work well again.